The only constant is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be.
— Isaac Asimov
Below is Gary Social Media Counter. It counts social media interaction by the second. If we had seen this counter 10 years ago it would have seemed puzzling to us indeed. Now its terms are largely known to us. This is just one area of change and there are many others.
Preparing our students for the world they live in and embrace will require preparing them for a world that we would not recognize today. With change being constant, we can count on the fact that it will be one we can’t describe or quantify. They will have to count on open minded exploration, self direction, critical thinking and a comfortable working knowledge often with the use of digital tools. Preparing our students for the future will require leaders who ‘add in’ thinking differently, collaboratively, with innovation.
Students Are Counting Too
- Students are counting on a future that is full of new discoveries, new technologies.
- Students are counting on being ready to learn in new and innovative ways.
- Students are counting on being able to use information creatively, analytically.
- Students are counting on being able to responsibly use technology and information for good, productive purposes, to make a difference in the world and expecting the same of others.
- Students are counting on entering college and the workforce with the skills they will need for the future
- Students are counting on all of us in the education arena, on our school communities.
- Students are counting on me and on you.